Build Group Hierarchies with Templates
One of the most common ways we organize our data is with folders and subfolders (groups and subgroups in DEVONthink). Maybe you are someone that tracks your receipts on a monthly basis. Perhaps you are a teacher that organizes student data in a series of subfolders. Or you may be a real estate agent that creates a folder for each new property you're working with and you like to have subfolder for pictures, documents, etc. If you ever find yourself reconstructing group hierarchies in DEVONthink, here's a handy way to create a template that will do most of the work for you.
- In DEVONthink, select Data > New from Template > Open Templates Folder.
- Create a new folder, give a a descriptive name.
- Inside this folder, create a new folder and name it "English.lproj".
- Inside the .lproj folder, create the folder hierarchy you want to use or drag a hierarchy in if you have one already prebuilt.
- When you're done, add ".dtTemplate" to the end of the name of the top level folder. You will get a warning from the Finder and you'll want to okay the addition to the name.
Now when you select Data > New From Template in DEVONthink you will see your new template. Select it and your new group hierarchy should be made for you in an instant!
Here is a very simple example: When I start a new script project I always create a simple hierarchy. So I would have a folder structure like this in the Finder…
New Script Group.dtTemplate English.lproj Script Name (I would change this in DEVONthink after creation) Scriptgrounds Old Versions
When I select Data > New From Template > New Script Group it creates this hierarchy for me and I just need to type the script name on the top level group. Happy Grouping!